Oct 25, 2008

Mineral Springs Park

As some of you know, I've been trying out fly fishing lately. When you think about fly fishing you think trout. Well, here in central Illinois the trout fisheries aren't exactly around every corner. While we don't have pristine gravel bottom streams filled with trout feasting on may flies, what we do have is Mineral Springs Park in Pekin. Every fall, the DNR dumps a bunch of rainbow trout into the lagoon at Mineral Springs. While it isn't exactly their natural habitat, and I'm sure they don't thrive, it does provide us with an opportunity to catch trout. Really our only opportunity, so don't laugh if you're reading this from Colorado; it's all we have.

Dave and I went to Mineral Springs park with our fly rods, (I got a nice St. Croix 8wt for my birthday, thank you honey) and tried our hand at fly fishing in a lake. While it wasn't as exciting as standing in the rushing waters of the Mackinaw River, it did provide some entertainment. Unfortunately the only real excitement I had was watching Dave catch fish after fish while I caught none. It was bad, I was even using a very similar fly and standing 5 feet away from him using the same techniques. Anyway, Dave caught one blue gill, enough crappie that I lost track and two rainbow trout. The two trout are shown below.




1 comment:

  1. Man, that was a cold day! Still fun though. Thanks for posting the pics Clif.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.