Dec 31, 2008

Fly Tie Time

One of the problems I've found here in central Illinois is that the stores only sell trout flies, but we don't have any trout. If you want a bass bug you have to go on-line or make your own. So this year, a Christmas request I had was fly tying kit. Unfortunately Santa didn't come through. However, my in-laws did come through with a Gander Mountain gift card so I went out and purchased one yesterday. I spent most of the night playing around with it. I started out easy and followed the step-by-step instructions to tie a Woolly Bugger. It's kind of ugly and when I tie the next one it will be much better.




Then I got a little more advanced. I tied the following two Clouser Minnows without step by step instructions, but I did use a picture.




And finally I really stepped out of the box, I tied the following creature. I got the idea from a funny little fly I couldn't even begin to describe that Dave tied, but this is entirely different. In the short amount of time I've been looking at bass flies I've seen nothing like it, so I think I'll call it Clif's Crawdad. The only thing I think I will do differently next time is to make it weedless with a loop of heavy-weight mono and I'd like to see what it does if I move the weigh closer to the middle instead of near the eye. There are probably many ways to get the same effect, but this is how I did it:



Here is my first attempt at using MS Movie Maker...also Lunkerhunt's first video. I felt a video was required to do this thing justice. Here's hoping it works!


1 comment:

  1. Cliff-
    Pretty damn good crawdad thing!
    weird, but good.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.