Jan 8, 2009

Efficiency Improvements


As previously mentioned I recently spent 3 hours hand carving a popper. I shaped the four plugs above in about 2 hours total. There are two poppers and two floating divers. I started with a 5/8" hardwood dowel and shaped them with a Dremel. I did most of the shaping with a sanding drum tool and hollowed out the noses of the poppers with a medium sized round cutting tool. I found the course sanding drum was a little too quick to remove material and hard to control. If you're going to try it, make sure to use the fine sanding drum (I don't know the grit count, but there were only two grits available). I finished it off by hand sanding with 120 and 220 grit sand papers.

The epoxy is already drying to hold these to hooks. I don't plan to spend as much time painting these either. I'm think of solid colors with some silver leaf. Maybe some eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.