Feb 11, 2009

He’s got a big boat and everybody knows his name

I recently read an article about BASS founder Ray Scott endorsing the X10 from Carolina Electric Boats. In fact here he is showing off his best endorse...


According to the article the boat has a shallow draw that allows it in as little as six inches of water. It apparently has two props powered by two electric motors, allowing for maneuvering in tight spaces. Also the props are recessed, limiting chances for prop damage. If all the fanciness sounds good to you, be ready fork over about $2300. But remember, for under $600 you can a new two man bass boat and motor. Keep your eyes on the classifieds and you can get one on the cheap, and that’s something a little more my speed.



The boat above was my first, The Good Ship Clif and it had what I like to call character. It was fiberglass, camo painted, came with Skoal Bandit stickers and measured just under 8’ long. I picked it up from a coworker for $75; the deal included a 27lb thrust and dead bloated battery. During that boat’s early days it spent a brief period flipping through the air over an interstate. Sadly the subsequent brief period inflicted severe damage. My coworker got it, patched it with fiberglass and fished it through the ‘90s. His kids started demanding time, as kids are known to do, so the boat sat for a few years before I got it in ’05.

Just like the X10, it was small enough to get into some pretty tight spots. However it had some draw backs. It was small so space for tackle was at a premium. It claimed a 375lb weight limit, something I had a total lack of respect for. The extra weight caused the boat to be a little “tippy,” so movement needed to be coordinated. If I leaned forward for a fish, my partner had to lean back. No ramps were required, but it was heavy and unwieldy. Sadly, The Good Ship Clif was retired due to mechanical disrepair. The fiberglass patch jobs were starting to fail and water was slowly filling the hull making one pontoon heavier than the other which made it even more tippy.



Next was an even trade with another coworker for my current boat. It’s an 11’ aluminum and came with some dents, some slow leaks and no title. Add JB Weld and a coat of Herculiner and it is now leak free, plus I won the battle against red tape required to get a new title. The new boat is lighter, more spacious and also rides high in the water. However, it is also a little unstable, in a different more comfortable kind of way.

You’re probably wishing I would get to the point. I’m not sure I have a point, but if I do it’s this: I’m a fan of small boats and prefer them over larger ones. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy having space available to get some jogging in, but I’d rather have something a little more nimble. It gets me on the water, and usually keeps me dry.

9 comments:

  1. I have an older 10ft Coleman Crawdad Jon Boat that I picked up for $250 and it has been worth every penny. You can see what it looks like in Google Images. It is a great boat for 1 person. I didn't take it out much with another person and when I did I didn't really like it because of lack of space and how much deeper it drafted in the water. I used to prefish tournaments in it. I haven't used it in a couple of years mostly because I totaled my truck when I hit a deer so I no longer have an easy way to haul it around. There is an area lake that this boat is perfect for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard really to explain how nice little boats are to those who don't use them. Plus they're cheap. Glad to hear you agree with me.

    How do I see your boat picture? After this comment, I'll go poke around your blog to try and find a link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might sound a little pathetic, but for the longest time, I was fishing out of a two-seater pedal boat. I could drift across very shallow areas into pockets people in bass boats could not. It was also great exercise, but difficult to manage on very windy days. You'd be shocked if I showed you the water I've covered with that thing. I'm still toying with the idea of a custom trolling motor mount. I can't find the mount originally designed for that particular boat, so it'll have to be a custom job. I already have an anchor tied to the back. I've been looking at these boats a lot over the last six months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In college I used to rent a pedal boat for fishing. I'd even stand on the back seat.

    Now I'm picturing you trying to keep your feet clear of the spinning pedals while the trolling motor is working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will put a picture up on my blog of a Crawdad that looks kind of like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason it isn't letting me put a picture on the blog.

    Here is how you can see a picture. Go to Google and on the upper left click on "Images". Type in "Coleman Crawdad" and hit search. The 1st pic 1st row and 2nd pic 2nd row are basically the same boat I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, I get it. I thought you had a picture of YOUR boat somewhere. I didn't realize you meant a picture of someone else's boat that is the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we have had at least 6 two man boats and they are the choice for small waters and strip pits. they are very stable and have enough room if your organized. the best yet is the baby bass with rear wheels. we love them and now also have a crawdad jon, with 3 seats and it holds the weight just fine. they are the best

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.