Jun 1, 2009

I don't mess around


Dave and I hit one of the club lakes I haven't sampled yet and we brought John and Kim's kayaks (thanks guys). Dave's been in a kayak previously, and this was my first time but neither of us had fly fished from one and sure didn't know what to expect. Turns out it's a blast but if we plan on spending 7 hours in a yak again, we'll invest in some seat padding. My backside is still a little sore.

This lake is the smallest of the set, but produced the biggest bass in the club's annual tournament a month ago. So we had to give it a shot. I started out with a Floating Diver I made and Dave used a Mad Tom. This is about as big as we could get for bass but we caught a few like this and some real dinks.



Sure we caught some bass, but what sparked my interest was how pan fish couldn't leave the diver alone even though it is sized for bass. I finally gave in and tied on a small white pencil popper.

From this day forward, if I ever have a hankering for pan fish, I know where to look. We got on the water a little after 7:00am and fished until about 2:30. We ended up catching a lot of fish, I'm not even sure how many but I know most were bluegill. In one area I popped 8-10 very nice bluegill and a rock bass in about 15-20 minutes. What impressed me most was the lack of tiny fish; all were a minimum 8 inches, the first picture is about the average size. Dave claims he caught one the size of a salad plate, but I didn't see it and for some reason there is no picture....


This next one is Dave's, caught on a spider.


And this thing, it's pretty but I'm not 100% sure what it is. I've caught a few of these before in my life and I'm pretty sure it's a rock bass. Can anyone confirm?

Update: Stream Stalker helped me out in the comment section. This is not a rock bass, but it is a green sunfish.



After a while of that, I went and fetched Dave for some action photography. He came over and started taping. Sure enough, it wasn't long until I hooked up again. The blue gill and rock bass were loving the small white pencil popper I offered. Here's the video; I love how I yanked the fish through the air. In the heat of the moment I don't mess around, or perhaps my 8wt is a bit much for 8-9" blue gill.

video

I ended up taking two fairly artistic shots, the first you saw at the start of the post. Here's the next. I'm not sure why but I really like this picture, it's a shame the fish is so small. Maybe that's the appeal, it tells the story of how fishing is fun so long as your catching lots of fish - any size.

5 comments:

  1. I learned four things: one, sunfish fight likasumbitch for their size; two, I'm definitely going to take a serious look at the Hobie Mirage kayak again; three, I enjoy top water fishing more than I do bottom or mid water; and four, I really don't want to hear about your backside.

    Remember this while you're in Kentucky, A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.


    Enjoy your time off Clif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not a Rock Bass, but a green sunfish

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a internet research session, I've confirmed Stream Stalker's statement.

    Large mouth; body "bass-like"; dark spot on the back portion of the dorsal fin; opercular lobe bony and inflexible - green sunfishThe fish I caught had a big mouth and wide body. The sample pic they have sure resembles my fish too.

    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is one good adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught a fish just like it. my friend told me it was a rock bass. i dont think it is. the fish i caught did not have red eyes and it wasnt brown. it looked like a dark blue gill. and the mouth was deff bigger than a green sunfish so i have noo idea haha

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.