May 1, 2009

This rule is not meant to be broken

In the summer of 2003 I started fishing in earnest. My first rod was an ultra-light, I don't remember the brand. That rod was seriously undersized for the river fishing we did back then so I wasn't surprised when it met it's maker. That rod was quickly replaced with a cheap (college budget style) 6'6" medium action Shakespeare and the new rod is still my favorite despite all the rods I've since bought. This rod is the reason I've often preached talked about my strategy in shopping for rods and reels. I've fished enough to appreciate a high quality reel, and this Shakespeare has seen three reel upgrades over the years but the rod is going strong. Despite my ever refining taste in equipment, I still see no need to sling a high price rod. A couple weeks ago I was looking at some pictures and I was reminded of the rod customization I made years ago.




I painted tick marks every one inch on the rod. If my memory serves, and it often doesn't, there are 37 marks. I seem to remember that number not because I remember deciding 37 notches was a good number, but because I once caught a gar that was slightly longer than my last mark, so we figured about 38".

I guess the point of this post is two fold. To give you a tip on how to always have a ruler handy and for me to reminisce about all the fish this rod and I have seen. And I'd have truly failed at my job if I failed to mention the time this rod and I snagged something interesting off the bottom of the Illinois River backwater we fished. A few weeks after snapping the first rod and while fishing in about the same place, I reeled in half of an ultra-light rod.

1 comment:

  1. Clif - Good read, here. I, too, am a fan of Shakespeare rod's (Ugly Stiks). You can't imagine the strain I put on my rods when fishing and they just keep working. Enjoyed the little bit of humor at the end of this post, too.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.