May 20, 2009

Would you tell me if my geek was showing?

After much prodding, Dave has finally posted instructions on how to tie in a very effective weed guard. If you tie flies or make lures, you need to click here and take a look at what he's got going. I have tied a few this year and in my opinion it is a vastly superior guard than the traditional loop of mono over the hook in that it actually works.

There is one point in his post that I disagree with. About his preference to slant the guard back he states
"The goal is to allow the fly to glide over an obstacle as you strip your line slowly but deflect enough to set the hook."
We've been having some debate about that at work lately and here is your fair warning...things are about to get nerdy. If you have a weak stomach or poor math skills you need to run away and fast.





What you see above is going allow me to use a search engine keyword that is relevant to this blog, but might attract some attention from those using the internet the way it was intended: free body diagram. Dave and I are both engineers and our debate about how to tie in this particular guard quickly evolved degraded into a highly technical nerd-fest. I finally felt the need to dust off my engineering degree and prove to him that the best angle for the guard is ninety degrees.


I'll spare you the boring details, but the summary of my argument is as the angle of the guard brings it closer to the hook point, less force is required to expose the point and your chance of snags increases. However the force a fish can apply with it's mouth will always be sufficient to overcome the strength of the monofilament regardless of angle.

Update: I just realized I wasted my 100th post on this crap. 100.....that's pretty good I guess.

1 comment:

  1. GOOD GOD! Somebody save him! Put his pocket protector back in. And get that tape on his glasses! Quick, before he hyperventilates.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.