Aug 30, 2009

Our vandal gets the benefit of the doubt


Before Al Gore invented the interwebs, there may not have been much better of a way to inform the world that Justin Sanders does in fact "suck eggs." I've never before realized spray paint the first wiki.

In the big trade, I received the following. I don't know what it's called, but it treated me well yesterday. I eventually left it behind on a snag; by then she was worn down to little more than a hook and some gold glitter. I guess all good things come to an end. Hopefully Jonn will read this and clue me in on a name and point me toward a recipe. I bagged a total of six fish on my triumphant return to the Snatch, all on this fly.


Someone had cleared the log jam, making it possible for me to work downstream. It turns out I didn't have to go far. I read once that you'll find the fish in the best cover for a given length of stream and I found the fish in the hole left behind by the jam.


And I'm pleased to announce the Snatch holds bass - well, at least this particular hole held bass. The hole was 5-6 ft deep in a stream than was running about six inches deep. Top that off with some lay downs and I was in business. Five of the six fish came from the hole, and I watched the biggest fish of the day swipe at my fly and miss, never to be seen again.


The day was chilly, and I found myself seeking sunlight instead of hiding in the shade. Partly cloudy skies were overhead and a brisk breeze made casting tough. A sixteenth of an ounce of lead feels like a pound when it hits you in the back of the head.


The sunfish was close to being the highlight, it was nine inches long. Even sunfish find the mysterious gold fly irresistible. I'm not really sure what species that is, but it was the prettiest fish I caught.


The day ended when a convoy of four wheelers rolled through, leaving behind some muddy water and a hot tip. After exchanging pleasantries ("Are you a cop?" "No, are you?") they were on their way and I was left waiting for the water to clear and pondering a trip to "the only other hole this deep". The water didn't clear, but I didn't mind. I had already fished three hours and caught my fish. My hole had quit producing and I was back from exploring some more water down stream. Things had wound down; by this point the magic fly was long gone and my pockets were devoid of anything closely resembling it. As the convoy headed out, I was right behind them.

While the sunfish was probably the nicest fish, my favorite was actually a sixteen inch bronze back. It wasn't a brute, but I came back to the Snatch to prove the creek held smallies. After being blanked on bass the last time, and knowing this creek often runs dry often I wasn't so sure. If it hadn't been for this nice smallie, I wouldn't be making plans to return.


I've decided to wait on some heavy rain to replenish my hole before I come back. With the low water, these fish weren't moving far and without more rain the creek may dry up. This year's consistently heavy rain has kept this creek running so far, and hopefully it doesn't change.

I wonder if I can find "the other hole."

2 comments:

  1. Clif:

    Looks like you had a great day.........congrats. The fly in question is the Murdich Minnow. Awesome fly and one of my best producers. You can find a great video tutorial on that fly by visiting www.tightlinesflyshop.com. That tutorial is how I learned to tye it.

    By the way, the sunfish in question looks like a Green Sunfish. Very common in streams, but that one is HUGE!!!!

    STREAM STALKER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, I suspected it was a green sunfish, but I can never tell if they're hybrids or something else. Regardless of what it was, I knew it was big.

    Have to be a big fish to try and eat the Murdich.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.