Nov 29, 2009

Carving is the easy part

I'm happy with the carving but my painting skills could use some improvement.



This one has a hole for each eye that will channel water through the body and out a hole on top.



Either that, or the cavity will release trapped air bubbles as the plug dives under.



This last picture is the best I could do to show the path between the "eye sockets" and "blow hole."  If you look close, you can see light coming through.

 

I don't think I'll ever know if this works as well as I think it should.  This is the third plug I've made that I don't want to risk losing. You can see the other two here and here.

Oh! and I sent a Dahlberg and a couple simple blanks to Jonn "The Streamstalker" Graham during the most lop-sided fly trading session ever.  I did quickly make four others that I do fish with (and they work fine).

8 comments:

  1. Being a retired fly tyer, I always enjoy looking at other tyer's efforts. These look really good to me, Cliff. I would think they would work great on Bass. Both Large and Smallmouth bass should be on high alert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, that I never tried the diver you sent me. Too worried about losing it. Guess I will need to either hit you up for another, or make my own. I do really like your newest one. Love the color scheme.

    ss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel,
    Retired or reformed fly tyer?

    Jonn,
    You could always try out that diver in the bath tub. Otherwise, I hope you still have the two "blanks" I sent. If not, say the word and we can figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I still have the blanks. Guess I will have to go to work on them this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely think its time for a new blog entry! I hope Santa is good to you this year...I look forward to seeing your new gear. Would you like a free place to advertise your blog? Let me know and I'll put you on my forum.

    ~Scotty P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is time, but the winter months don't offer much material. I suppose I could fill things out with useless dribble...but I won't. Well not any more than I normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creativity is the key! I think you should work on a log/spreadsheet to record your catches including: lenth, weight, species, time of day, and "fake" location. I think it is time for you to take accountability for your fishing and display your numbers from year to year for better or worse. You could probably get a rough count for the last year or so based on your blog alone plus/minus.

    my thoughts
    ~Scotty P

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1)The count would be minus, I only blog about interesting things or decent fishing. I don't blog about uninteresting days where I only catch dinks
    2) Disregarding #1, I would be more than happy to post the results of your findings from my last year(s) worth of blog.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.