Jan 23, 2010

Little Boat Library



A Native Watercraft Native Manta Ray 11 arrived earlier this week. I have tried her on the driveway and she fits, but comments about comfort and stability are reserved until the maiden voyage. She comes rigged a little better than a standard kayak, but I consider this an entry level fishing yak.



One stipulation of the purchase was it would fit in the garage with both cars, or it wouldn't be her car on the street.  So today I spent some time building a rack to hold the yak above my boat.  The kayak only weighs 55lb, which is light enough to lift but heavy enough to find reasons not to.  To solve the dilemma, I rigged up a pulley, which reduces my load by half.  Damn, I'm handy.

 

Now I can go to the boat stacks and pick something out before each trip.


9 comments:

  1. NICE! those look like paddles?! I can't watch the video at work so do tell me some of the details! You could really get some kinda of camera mount like survivor man so we never miss a moment. I see big plans in the future!

    ~Scotty P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike. I might be able to get you the same deal if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea hanging it up like that. My kids want kayaks. All 4 of them. think I'll go broke?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they're not going to spend 8 hrs in it and they won't bring a bunch of tackle - you don't need anything fancy.

    But you'll be buying four of them. Maybe think about getting a couple two seaters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear about the maiden voyage, hopefully she is water worthy. Well done on the handy stashing of the yak. Looks like a win-win situation all the way around~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking the maiden voyage will be in about 6 weeks now that Puxatony Phil has made his official prognostication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still waiting to see the camera rig! I think a tri-pod mounted on the rear would be a perfect. You would still be able to put your stuff under neath it and your camera angle would be just a bit higher than your head so you could point it in the area you are fishing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working on it man. Patience is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and then mount a camera on the front looking back so we can watch you untangle your fly line from the camera rigging in the back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.