Feb 6, 2010

Creative Juices Streaming

I tied these tasty bass flies last week. I'm just getting around to posting pictures, hope you enjoy.


It started with an attempt to make a Bart-o Minnow, despite the fact I'm missing about fifty percent of the required materials.  I made due with what I have and the results do not look much like the Bart-o.  However, I'm pleased with the result and this is a fly I can't wait to try.



I like to use regular hooks for flies because they're cheap and easy to find, so I started with a 2/0 Eagle Claw plain shank hook.  I then tied in the following from tail to head.
  • Clump of white buck tail (not too much or it will look like the olive fly above)
  • Three white hackle feathers (left, top and right sides of hook)
  • Two clumps of artic fox fur (left and right side of hook)
  • 10-16 strands of pearl flash or tinsel (on top only)
  • White rabbit zonker strip (tied onto bottom side)
  • Darker rabbit zonker strip (tied onto top)
  • Palmer the white strip forward to head
  • Two strands peacock herl for lateral lines (left and right side of hook)
  • Lay darker zonker strip over the top and tie in at head
  • 40lb mono weed guard.
I suspect she'll be pretty bouyant with all that fluff but I'll wait to see before I adding weight to the next version.

1 comment:

  1. As usual, Cliff, well done! I like the durability of rabbit strip flies as compared to Marabou feathers. Bass beware!

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.