Jun 8, 2010

It's All About the Benjamins, and I Have Two

What better way to celebrate my 200th post than to recap the splendid fishing I experienced last night?

When I stepped out of work the weather was perfect, the hourly forecast was sketchy, the wife was away, my brain was frustrated and I had over four hours of daylight left.  I can be pretty thick at times but all signs pointed toward fish.  It isn't often the stars align like that.  I thought about going back to Snakeden Hollow, but the weather man suggested I head south instead of west - Banner Marsh it was then!


With a front scheduled to come through, I flashed back to my last Banner trip in which the wind wreaked havoc, so the long rod stayed home and I regretted the decision.  I was greeted by a lake polished to a mirror finish and the wind stayed down all evening.  I started out with a shaky head worm, but didn't get any action and switched out to a white buzz bait.  The next 30 minutes was pure unadulterated awesome.


The above fish is my biggest this year (so far) and weighed 3lb 14oz.  She was the second on top water and she spurred a flurry of txting.  It started out with a simple picture message to let Scott know I cracked a dandy.  Then my phone recorded the next thirty minutes of fun.

5:52pm - Clif:    [picture message fish #2 shown above]
6:10pm - Scott:  Not too bad
6:11pm - Scott:  U need over 4 lol
6:12pm - Scott:  Still better than any of mine (editors note: Scott is sitting at 0 this year)
6:12pm - Clif:    buzz bait bite is going on tonight
6:13pm - Scott:  Really
6:13pm - Clif:    3 in a half hour so far
6:14pm - Scott:  Nice, u by yourself
6:15pm - Clif:    by myself, make it 4
6:16pm - Clif:    5 now
6:19pm - Clif:    [picture message of #6, a nice 2.5 pounder]
6:21pm - Scott:  U at banner?
6:21pm - Clif:    yep and this is f*cking awesome
6:22pm - Scott:  Lol wish i was there
6:23pm - Scott:  the perfect time between storms
6:23pm - Clif:    just missed one that made my drag scream
6:24pm - Scott:  Man
And there you have it; I've used my 200th post to introduce a new blog feature: The text message recap...riveting isn't it?  It will probably surpass Twitter in 5-6 months.  Seriously now, the key bits of information are documented right there in my phone and that's why I took the time to type it out.  I caught my second fish around ten minutes before six o'clock and boated four more in the next half hour.

You have no doubt noticed the line went dead after "The One That Got Away".  Bass number seven took quite a bit more work than numbers one through six.  At twenty after six, all the fish went home and I didn't see another until an hour later.  Strange that the bite shut down like it did with no discernible difference above the water, but I'm happy to have experienced what I did.


Do not panic - no one slipped acid into your meatloaf; I must have moved the camera phone just right for the face melt above.  I snapped the last fish picture to show you the odd coloration many fish had.  This one was gray enough for me to think it was a freshwater drum when it came boat side.

I wrapped up the night chatting with Randy (I think that was his name) and he seems to know as much about my lake as I do.  We swapped stories and tips - I learned about a drop off on the west side and I showed him the submerged hump near the slap happy beaver.  He also shared one of the best tips ever...so good it deserves it's own story and you'll have to wait for post #201.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on both the 200th post and the really nice fish.

    I wonder why the fish were so pale, thats pretty weird.

    If you need a fishing buddy anytime over the next few weeks, I'm pretty open now that the wedding hullabaloo is over with, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, those are some really nice fish. Congratulations on (200) posts, and, hope many more posts and nice fish to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Clif. Congrats on 200. We're having one of those Bass Tournaments in the Delta today. They could use a couple like your 3-14.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 200!

    BTW that hat is old as dirt! You caught some really good fish! Look forward to hearing about 201!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you could have caught some of those same fish throwing a big popper on the 8 weight. EAsy to second-guesss though............good fish. The Mack is almost ready to fish.

    jonn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 200 posts! The fish "aint" too shabby either. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.