Sep 4, 2010

I am but an honest man with empty pockets

A couple interesting things happened tonight while I was on the Mackinaw River.  Firstly, I've always heard about you trouters fishing with a "dropper" nymph below a dry fly.  Tonight I put my own spin on things and had a bit of success; this little guy took a nymph suspended from a bass popper.


You may realize nymphing is a bit out of character for me but there is a simple explanation. I was wondering if I could repeat a recent performance, in which I caught a state record longear sunfish but didn't realize it until later.  In the front of my mind I was fishing for bass, but the back of my mind thought it would be nice to have that record.  Well the night wore on and the bass stayed quiet, but the #14 Adams proved to be the ticket.  Once again, I was holding a potential record fish but there was a slight problem.


The little guy was foul hooked under the gill plate and therefore not something I wanted as my record.  I'm not even sure if it would be accepted.  I let him swim, but I'm on to something here and a record is just around the corner.  The quest continues!


If only there were some bass around to eat all these sunfish.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Clif. Honesty is always the best policy. You'll get your record fish. I have faith in you.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honorable move to not to take credit for the foul hooked fish. I'm sure the record will be yours shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your really on to something there. I agree with the other guys. Your record fish is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second fish is pretty. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound of an interesting blog, if you enjoy fishing you can visit my blog amateur: http://pescuitamator. blogspot. com / blog and Fishing: http://fishingnike. blogspot. com / with esteem and respect Nik.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the record longear there 7inches?

    ReplyDelete
  7. According to the Illinois fishing regs for 2010, there is no record in for longear.

    Unless someone entered a fish this season, the spot remains open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little fish are dope! I've always thought it would be sweet to have a fish tank with some of them in there. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.