Sep 25, 2010

The Sunfish Sage Continues


Dave and I hit the Mack after work yesterday for a few hours.  We hadn't fished together for some time, and he hadn't fished in a couple months.  He made up for lost time and made me look bad by catching six compared to my two.


Early I spied Dave roll casting from the bank.  It looks like he's been practicing, and the scene composed itself.


That's a pretty cast Dave.  The pretty casting soon lead to a hooked smallie and I happened to have the camera read for some more action.


Nothing huge, but this seems to be pretty typical for the Mackinaw these days.  I'm starting to feel better and better about the 16 incher I landed in May.  Even though they're small, most have beautiful coloring.  Dave's fish had some excellent markings you can see below.


Later on, we split up for a while and I rejoined him just in time to see him land a potential state record longear sunfish.  As you can see, he wasn't even trying and the hungry bugger took a bass popper.  Fortunately for me, he wasn't interested in claiming the record and the little guy swam free.


Seeing this, gave me the motivation to go for the record again.  I tied on an Adams and promptly hooked up.


Is that a record?  Yes.  Did I take it to the scale? Nope.  Let me explain. I caught it about five minutes after Dave's and about a minute after I put on the Adams.  So I thought I could do better, but I couldn't....that night.  You can be sure I'll get out there again, I've got the spot figured out and the presentation down.  Only a a matter of time.

4 comments:

  1. Don't know much about your area, but that looks like a nice little river to fish. More current that I expected (in the smallie video). You better keep that next potential record, I'm looking forward to your dialogue with fish & game or whoever has to certify it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Longear! Geez I need to catch a smallmouth. But it's nice to see you and others have made time for fishing and thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunfish, even if it is small. The small ones tell you that the fish should be there for years to come. =)

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Troutrager - We're fishing that particular spot because it has current and depth, most other places on that river are slow with a few shallow runs. Especially right now with the VERY low flow. Hind sight is always 20/20 and setting the record with that guy would have been more fun.

    @Casey - Get out there and do it man! Time is running out this year.

    @Ryan - I've found a pretty healthy population, but rivers always change. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.