Sep 19, 2010

The Zen View From the Back Seat

While traveling in Utsunomiya, Japan last week I saw something worth writing about.  My mood was hurried and nervous as I worked my way across a strange land to talk business with people I've never met about technologies I'm barely familiar with.  Through the taxi window I spied a sight to bring comfort to my anxious heart.  Certain things are universal, and I'm sure the cluster of fisherman would have felt similar thoughts had our roles been reversed.

What I saw was a group of about twenty anglers in full combat mode as they worked a small riffle.  Their tenkara rods were at least twelve feet long, which I'm sure made combat that much more difficult.  From the taxi it was an odd sight; it looked like a forest of super long rods leaning in the same direction as they searched for the sun.  I wish I had a picture, because there is nothing I can type to properly convey the scene.


Life would be boring if it weren't for coincidences such as the one I experienced two days later.  While riding a commuter train, this time near Akashi, my boss handed me a newspaper opened to an article he thought I'd enjoy.  The paper was The International Herald Tribune and the article was titled "Japanese fly fishing catches on in the U.S."  It's a short read so go ahead and click the link.

To further the coincidence, the article described an angler catching a "scrappy longear sunfish" from Crooked Creek, Arkansas.  As regular readers know well, I'm currently in a half-hearted race to claim the Illinois state record for longear sunfish.  I thought it would be fun to get the record on a fly but a tenkara rod would make it that much more enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. First off, welcome back. As for your state record, go get 'em. Sunfish on a tenkara rod are a blast. I toss out a size 18 beadhead nymph and they gobble them up! The folks at Tenkara USA have been doing a good job spreading the word on tenkara in America, but I think that NY Times article might just open a few more people's eyes. It was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected you would comment early. It is because of Troutrageous I knew what I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike is our Tenkara Guru. Ask, and he knows.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.