Feb 19, 2011

Something Ain't Right

Something isn't right with the Mackinaw River water meter I normally watch.  To the point I'm comfortable saying it is just lying to me....straight to my face.


A peak of almost 4000cfs is pretty impressive (I think 400 is about the max for safe wading), but that is where she sat two days ago.  I believed it because we melted off about fifteen inches of snow in a 2-3 day period - that on top of thawing the ground water.


Then the flow started to fall, so I thought maybe an ice dam was to blame.  Today I check and she's all dried up?  Something ain't right.  In fact, it's the only meter around currently registering a drought...



Anyone have an explanation?  It's almost enough to make me drive out there and look.

7 comments:

  1. clif,
    this is armchair hydrology and I am definitely not familiar with your local waters, but there is the potential that the river avulsed (or abandoned the old channel for a new channel) during the high flow event. (NOTE: this is the sexy answer) But the chances of the USGS placing the gage in a location that would be susceptible to channel avulsion is pretty low. They typically place them in "stable" runs with uniform flow (with little to no flow variability and eddying).

    I took a look at the historic low flows at that gage and every other occurrence of low flows occurred during a low-flow season/drought.

    I would venture to guess that there was some sort of mechanical error with the gage.

    How far away are you for the Mackinaw? if you are close, I would go over and check it out, just in case something awesome happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. follow up - especially if you know where the gage is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone flushed twice in Chicago? Just a guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think howard is on to something. i retract my guesses and fully support the flushing theory

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where the meter is, and I'm not sure if there is much chance of the main channel moving.

    It's about 30-40 minutes from here one way. Maybe tomorrow I'll go check it out if it's still misbehaving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure the guage is misbehaving.

    jonn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clif,
    I am sure something was dislodged and the gage is simply not working correctly, but the fluvial geomorphologist in me is always hoping for the exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.