May 25, 2011

Weak Sauce If You Ask Me

Carefully chosen words: my fly rod broke.


It the middle of a back cast, the hoopty noodle unloaded. If you have never felt it, lets just say it is an odd sensation. Makes a funny noise too.

Saturday, while getting after bluegills my Cabela's Three Forks 3wt bit the dust - right in the middle of a cast. To say "I broke my fly rod" implies a truck tailgate, errant footstep or huge fish was involved. To say "my fly rod broke" describes an entirely different event - perhaps one involving a simple cast. She wasn't even capable of carrying 20 feet of line. Weak sauce, even for a store brand.

This was the noodle's fourth outing and I was planning to write an official gear review for today - it ain't looking good. As of this moment I haven't yet given them a chance to make things right, so I'll hold off on an official review. This will leave a mark.

10 comments:

  1. Try some old fiberglass Clif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...just doesn't seem fair! Hope all works out, either with Cabela's or with the replacement brand ( Fyi - Redington CT is a sweet 3wt)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is weak sauce of the worst variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fourth outing? Damn. Try a Scott. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Howie, T-Rage and The Emb: thank you for suggestions.

    @Ivanafish: That schmooze may work on women, but I need your advise now! See other three comments for examples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sucks. nice of you to wait on the review :) As I'm starting to think about getting a new rod, I may have to think twice about store brand. we'll see. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is some pretty bad sauce indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Four times - lame! Cabela's should exchange it or give you a refund. I crashed my face on the side of the boat last summer in Canada, and my rod was also a casualty in this graceful dance. Cabelas gave me a store credit for it, no questions asked.

    Since you are describing it as a noodle, I don't think the review would have been glowing, breakage or not.

    Bummer.

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. clify-poo - you want my advise? I broke a rod like that when I was trying to throw a streamer that was meant for a rod 2 weights bigger. I sent it back into Redington, they sent me a new one. It sucked to not have that rod for a while, but a new one arriving at my door was nice.

    it is still weak sauce of the worst variety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cabela's is going to replace this crumby rod with an equally crumby rod...I just have to get off my arse and mail it in.

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.