Oct 26, 2011

A Match in My Pocket

In the canyon, wind does terrible things to fly anglers. Shear walls grab the breeze, accelerate it to a gust and redirect it's aggression. The angle of attack seems to change randomly and quickly.



A day alone on the water was my birthday wish and I returned to the scene of the crime to catch a few bass and maybe snag an Asian carp or two. The carp were no where to be seen, but the smallies did not disappoint.



In a certain pool, I was constantly seeing them slurp the surface. I took a quick glance around and saw no bugs, so I settled on a #16 gray/dun traditional dry. I brought a little too much muscle but such was the opportunity presented and I'd be a fool to ignore it.


After the first cast yielded a shad, I had a thought about you trout guys. I thought about how easy you have it; your quarry broadcasting their position in such a way. At least feeding bass are somewhat difficult to locate...


After the second or third fish, I started to realize why you like it so much. The challenge of rolling over and delicately laying down a dry is the sort of challenge I love...and it ain't easy with 3X tippet and 8wt line.


After the third or forth fish, I felt bad for not inviting Dave. So I sent him a TXT to rub salt....



"Shad are taking #16 dries on the Vermilion right now."



At the truck I finally saw a bug...


I had a perfect match all along.

10 comments:

  1. p.s. Based on the title, I was expecting you to catch fire at some point during the post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Still jealous of your "blue broomstick." Maybe I'll ask Santa to bring me one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brookfielder, yup

    @The Emb, maybe that's what I wanted

    @Jay, you should be jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a Smallmouth to sip in your bug is always a treat and it doesn't matter what size the fly is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are some hefty shad, you ever eat those?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Blake, never eaten one but at 12-14" they get pretty meaty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those might be mooneye, not shad. Sorry if I'm stepping on a local name.

    Most shad have a spot behind the gill plates and a long filament at the end of the dorsal fin.

    http://www.gofishn.com/content/mooneye

    ReplyDelete
  8. @T-Smithy: could be...I don't know much if it isn't a "sport fish"

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.