Nov 28, 2011

A Proclamation of the Season

I'm burning through serious quantities of fur
Whereas, it will soon be colder than Eskimo snot, all the nearby water will soon turn solid and the nation of Lunker Hunt does not recognize ice fishing as an enjoyable pastime; and,

Whereas, I now have a place to fondle material prior to purchase, a freshly organize tying desk and a reasonable supply of dried hardwood to burn; and,

Whereas, I don't really enjoy tying flies unless there is nothing else to do and/or my box is running low; and,

Whereas, there is nothing else to do and my box is running low.

Therefore, be it ordained by me, the fly tying season is officially open.

10 comments:

  1. Commenced! I feel as though there should be an anthem of some kind now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of fur are you using?

    jonn

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone that doesn't really enjoy tying flies you certainly do a beautiful job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gary: I work at a leisurely pace

    @The Emb: I'd probably sing it, if you wrote it and played the kazoo in accompaniment.

    @Jonn: For the two above, it's craft fur...about a quarter pound each. For others I use rabbit, fox and icelandic sheep too.

    @WD Sticke: My box is always empty, so I have to practice a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craft fur/hair is really good stuff and has many uses. This is what we make our float n fly jigs out of. Nothing has more movement at rest than craft hair. Arctic Fox is close, but not quite as good. Icelandic Sheep is cool as well and usually has some nice long fibers. Did you purchase each of these at BPS?

    jonn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The craft fur came from BPS, but everything else is pre-BPS...mostly from tight lines fly shop but they didn't have the icelandic when I wanted it so that came from somewhere in chicago...I forget the name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's the deal with the legalese? You been involved in some patenting or something lately?

    Does fly tying season being open mean that fly fishing season is now closed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know it buddy. One in the books, three in the works.

    The government gives them out like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tie me some clif's crawdads. I pay well...or at least I pay...

    ReplyDelete

Clif reserves the right to delete your comment if he is so inclined, but he is a pretty liberal guy so post away and see what happens.